Nov. 8, 2017
But, there’s still time to avoid a payment penalty for the 2017 reporting year.
AGA will provide additional information and materials in the coming weeks to ensure your practice is prepared for the 2018 performance year.
What should I do right now?
Key changes for 2018
- MIPS participation requirements increase for 2018, but a phased approach remains.
- Cost Performance category = 10 percent of your final score.
- Quality Performance category = 50 percent of your final score, but will be more difficult to earn.
- Fewer points will be awarded for measures that don’t meet data completeness requirements.
- Data completeness requirements increase to 60 percent.
- A higher final MIPS score will be needed to avoid a payment penalty.
- Exemptions from MIPS participation were expanded by increasing the low-volume threshold to $90,000 or less in Part B allowed charges or 200 or fewer unique Medicare patients per year.
- CMS will continue to accept 2014 edition Certified Electronic Health Record Technology (CEHRT).
- Eligible clinicians can earn bonus points for:
- Caring for complex patients.
- Using 2015 edition CEHRT exclusively.
- Improvement in quality and cost performance.
- Small practices benefit from increased flexibilities, including:
- A new hardship exception for clinicians in small practices under the Advancing Care Information performance category.
- Bonus points to the final score of clinicians in small practices.
- Three points awarded for measures in the Quality Performance category that don’t meet data completeness requirements.
When do changes take effect?
Changes take effect with the performance period that begins on Jan. 1, 2018. Performance during 2018 impacts payment for services in 2020.
More on MACRA
Important Opportunity to Advise CMS on Colonoscopy Episode
Oct. 26, 2017
It is critical that you share your feedback with CMS by Wednesday, Nov. 15.
Tips to Avoid a 2019 Payment Penalty
Oct. 19, 2017
Report on one measure for one patient for the 2017 Quality Payment Program Performance Year.
AGA and House of Medicine Call on Congress to Provide MACRA Flexibility
Oct. 13, 2017
GIs need flexibility to successfully participate in the MIPS program.